At Least 42 People Killed in Cameroon Landslide Caused by Heavy Rains
The search will resume on Wednesday for additional bodies believed to remain under the rubble.
People gather at the site of a landslide caused by heavy rains in the town of Bafoussam in the western highlands, Cameroon. (Reuters)
Douala (Cameroon): A landslide caused by heavy rains in western Cameroon killed at least 42 people overnight, state media reported on Tuesday.
Rescue teams spent the day scouring the rubble of destroyed houses in the town of Bafoussam in the western highlands. Among the bodies recovered were those of 26 children, Cameroon Radio Television (CRTV) reported.
The search will resume on Wednesday for additional bodies believed to remain under the rubble, CRTV reported.
"Around 10 p.m. I heard a noise," said Albert Kenge, who survived the landslide. "I saw a big cloud of dust and when it dissipated, I saw that the mountain had collapsed."
Heavy rains have continued beyond the end of Central Africa's rainy season, causing severe flooding which has displaced nearly 30,000 people in Cameroon's neighbour, the Central African Republic.
The United Nations children's agency UNICEF said last week that exceptionally heavy rain in South Sudan had destroyed health centres and roads, making access to food and water more difficult for nearly 1 million people.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- WhatsApp Updates: Wait For Dark Mode Continues, And Here is Everything Else on The Agenda
- Lenovo IdeaPad S540 Review: If You Don’t Like Compromises, You Will Love This
- Pakistan’s 16-Year-Old Naseem Shah Receiving Test Cap After Losing His Mother is Inspiring
- New 'Ghost' Pokémon Based on Dead Coral is Exactly Why Need to Care About Global Warming
- Facebook Has Made a Meme App Called Whale, But What Exactly Would You do With it?