At least 70 Dead After Migrant Boat Sinks off Tunisia Coast, Rescue Operation Underway
The boat sank 40 nautical miles off the coast of Sfax, south of the capital Tunis. Fishing boats rescued the survivors.
Dubai: At least 70 migrants drowned on Friday when their boat sank in international waters off the Tunisian coast, and 16 were saved, the state-run Tunis Afrique Presse agency said.
The boat sank 40 nautical miles off the coast of Sfax, south of the capital Tunis, it said. Fishing boats rescued the survivors, it said.
The UN migration agency put the death toll at least 50, with 16 survivors.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Taylor Swift Weighs in on Game of Thrones Finale and Daenerys Targaryen's Fate
- Your New Apple iPhone 11 Could Cost As Little as Rs 51,700 With Amazon Preorder Offers
- I Went to the Future, in a Hotel Where My Butler to Bartender - Were Robots
- Do Not Worry, Your Mi TV Will Get Netflix And Amazon Prime Video Apps This Year
- Huge Hairball Surgically Removed from Teenager’s Stomach By Ludhiana Doctors