News18»World
1-MIN READ

Bars, Indoor Dining To Close In Toronto Amid Virus Surge

Bars, Indoor Dining To Close In Toronto Amid Virus Surge

Canadas most populous province is prohibiting indoor dining in restaurants and bars in Toronto and Ottawa and closing gyms and theaters as Ontario marked a record 939 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday.

TORONTO: Canadas most populous province is prohibiting indoor dining in restaurants and bars in Toronto and Ottawa and closing gyms and theaters as Ontario marked a record 939 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday.

The Ontario government said the measures will go into effect on Saturday and be in place for 28 days. The Peel region just outside of Toronto will also see the new restrictions.

The government is asking people in those areas to leave their homes only for essential purposes. The provincial government says if current trends continue, the province could experience worst-case scenarios seen in northern Italy and New York City earlier in the pandemic.

Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams said the measures would not have been necessary if more people had followed public health guidelines and worn masks and socially distanced.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said Canada is experiencing a second wave of COVID-19.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor


Next Story
Loading...