1-MIN READ

Broncos defensive tackle Kyle Peko opts out of 2020 season

Broncos defensive tackle Kyle Peko opts out of 2020 season

.

Share this:

Broncos general manager John Elway confirmed Tuesday that veteran defensive tackle Kyle Peko has opted out of the 2020 season over COVID-19 concerns.

The NFL and the players association agreed last week to an opt-out clause for the upcoming season. Those who choose to voluntarily sit out will receive a $150,000 stipend and those with medical opt outs will receive $350,000 rather than their contractual salary.

Elway said Peko notified the Broncos it was more dangerous for him to play during the pandemic.

Its uncertain whether Peko has a medical condition himself that imperiled his health or if his decision to skip the season was related to his wifes recent bout with cancer.

A year ago, Peko left the Buffalo Bills training camp to be with his wife, Giuliana, who was battling Hodgkins Lymphoma. The couple later said she was cancer free.

Peko, 27, spent parts of the 2016 and 2017 seasons in Denver, which signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Oregon State. He was in his second stint with the Broncos this year after playing with the Bills and Colts in 2018 and 19.

The Broncos are down to 81 players and its possible another player will opt out, Elway said.

Theres been some rumblings about a couple of guys, but weve not heard anything else yet, Elway said.

___

Follow Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: http://twitter.com/arniestapleton

___

Also Watch

12-Year-Old Girl Brutally Raped & Attacked In Delhi, Undergoes Surgery At AIIMS

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

  • Tags:
  • First Published: July 29, 2020, 1:42 AM IST
Next Story
Loading