China President Xi Jinping 'Afraid' Trump May Walk Away From Trade Deal
The US President on Wednesday had dangled the prospect of walking away if the ultimate trade agreement isn't to his liking.
File image of US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping. (Image: AP)
Washington: President Donald Trump's chief economic adviser says China's president is "afraid" to sit down with Trump until their countries finalize a trade deal.
Larry Kudlow, director of the White House's National Economic Council, says Xi Jinping (shee jihn-peeng) wants everything agreed to before meeting with Trump because "he's afraid Trump might not like it and walk away." Kudlow says Xi wants a signing ceremony, not a negotiating session.
Kudlow addressed the trade talks during an appearance Thursday in Washington. He says more work is needed to reach a deal.
Trump on Wednesday dangled the prospect of walking away if the ultimate trade agreement isn't to his liking.
Last month, Trump cut short a summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un after they failed to agree on denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Avengers: Endgame Director Says Cancelling Spider Man Deal was Sony's 'Tragic Mistake'
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Next Film on PM Modi's Youth; Akshay Kumar Unveils First Look
- Xiaomi Mi TV 4X 65-inch Launched Alongside Mi TV 4X 50-inch, 4X 43-inch and 4A 40-inch
- Rats Can Now Be Trained to Play Hide and Seek With Humans. We're Not Kidding.
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022