Egyptian Forces Kill Four Militants in Northern Sinai, Rifles and Explosives Seized
The Interior Ministry said that the four were killed in a police shootout on Saturday. They were suspects in an earlier attack on a northern Sinai police checkpoint that claimed the lives of eight policemen.
Representative image of Egyptian forces. (PTI)
Cairo: Egypt says its security forces have killed 4 militants in the restive northern part of the Sinai Peninsula.
The Interior Ministry says that the four were killed in a shootout with the police, south of the Mediterranean city of el-Arish on Saturday.
It said that the police seized automatic rifles, bombs and explosive belts.
The Ministry says the four were implicated in an attack earlier this week on a police checkpoint in northern Sinai that authorities say had left eight policemen dead.
On Thursday, authorities said security forces killed 14 suspected militants linked to the attack, which was claimed by the Islamic State.
The long-running insurgency in northern Sinai escalated after the military overthrow of an elected but divisive Islamist president in 2013, and is now led by an Islamic State affiliate.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- A Twitter User is Offering to Comment 'Yikes' On Your Ex's Selfie for Just Rs 350
- Guidelines For Influencers Are Incoming; a Few Folks And Brands Must be Very Worried
- Google Pixel 4 Face Unlock is so Unsecure, You May as Well Not Bother Using it
- TRAI to Decide on Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Battle For How Long Your Phone Should Ring
- 'Only Lionel Messi' Thread on Twitter Proves Why He is the Best in Football