Ex-Israeli Army Chief Launches Campaign to Replace PM Netanyahu
Benny Gantz is flaunting a tough military pedigree and emerging in the polls as Netanyahu's top rival. This highlights how security rules supreme in the minds of most Israeli voters.
File image Retired Israeli military chief Benny Gantz. (Image: Reuters)
Tel Aviv: Retired Israeli military chief Benny Gantz is launching his long-awaited political campaign, seeking to position himself as the first serious challenger to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's decade-long rule.
Gantz is flaunting a tough military pedigree and emerging in the polls as Netanyahu's top rival. This highlights how security rules supreme in the minds of most Israeli voters.
The tall, telegenic ex-general with salty hair is still untarnished by partisan politics and has been riding a wave of popularity, even while saying little and presenting a vague ideological platform.
But the shine could quickly wear off following his speech later on Tuesday, when he is expected to finally lay out his agenda. Netanyahu's allies are sure to brand Gantz as a "leftist" should he show any signs of moderation.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma Wish Each Other Happy Anniversary with Romantic Throwback Pics
- Amitabh Bachchan, Sonakshi Sinha's Accounts are the Most Tweeted About in 2019
- News18 Tech & Auto Awards 2019 Celebrates The Intersection of Technology And Automobiles
- Couple in Tamil Nadu Receives Bouquet of Onions from Friends at Their Wedding
- India vs West Indies | Virat Kohli Screamer Lights Up Gloomy Day for Fielders