Fired Rex Tillerson Laments 'Mean-spirited' Washington as he Departs
Rex Tillerson had been the subject of months of negative reports and speculation before President Donald Trump abruptly fired him last week.
File photo of Rex Tillerson. (Image: Reuters)
Washington: Fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is lamenting the 'mean-spirited' nature of Washington, D.C., as he bids good-bye to the US diplomatic corps.
In a brief final farewell address to State Department employees on Thursday, Tillerson urged them to protect their personal integrity and to strive to respect one another.
"This can be a very mean-spirited town," he said to laughter from a crowd of several hundred people gathered in the main lobby of the building. "But you don't have to choose to participate in that," he said to applause.
Tillerson had been the subject of months of negative reports and speculation before President Donald Trump abruptly fired him last week.
Tillerson also said it is more important than ever for the State Department to do its job.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Government of India And WhatsApp Are Debating Encryption Laws: All You Need to Know
- Google Has Five News Apps And Games That Are All About Reducing Your Screen Time
- Anand Mahindra Wants to Gift a Car to Man Who Took His Mother on India Tour on Scooter
- Is Radhe Your Most Wanted Bhai a Follow-up to Tere Naam or Wanted? Salman Khan Finally Answers
- Sara Ali Khan's Bikini Pics from Sri Lankan Getaway Are Proof of Beachside Vacay Done Right