Five Killed in Landslides in Banten in Indonesia
Landslides in Banten and Central Java provinces of western Indonesia have left 5 people dead and three others injured, disaster agency official said on Wednesday.
Indonesian soldiers search for landslide victims. (Reuters)
Jakarta: Landslides in Banten and Central Java provinces of western Indonesia have left 5 people dead and three others injured, disaster agency official said on Wednesday.
In Banten province, another landslide took place in a traditional gold mining compound at Citorek village of Lebak district, killing four miners and injuring 3 others, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of national disaster management agency told Xinhua via phone.
Heavy downpours triggered soil of a hill to fall and smash tents of the miners, he said.
The victims have been evacuated by police and the local communities, Sutopo added.
Previously, a landslide also hit the province on Monday, leaving two people dead with two others sustaining injuries, according to an official of the provincial disaster agency.
Separately in East Java province, landslides occurred in Magelang district. leaving one person dead, Sutopo added.
Indonesia has been frequently hit by landslide and flood during heavy rains.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Water Baby Kim Sharma Sets the Temperature Soaring on Instagram, See Here
- Bigg Boss 13: Krushna Reacts to Siddharth's Comment on Sister Arti, Says How Can He Do This
- ISL 2019-20: Controversy Heats Up Over Kerala Blasters vs ATK After Kerala Coach, Soosairaj Get Involved
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials
- Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale: Your New OnePlus TV Could Cost as Low as Rs 53,069