Former Iranian President Rafsanjani Dies At 82
Iranian state media says influential former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has died at age 82.
In this December 21, 2015 file photo, former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani waves to journalists as he registers his candidacy for the elections of the Experts Assembly, in Tehran, Iran. (AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi)
Tehran, Iran: Iranian state media says influential former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has died at age 82.
Iranian media earlier said Rafsanjani was hospitalised because of a heart condition.
Rafsanjani, who served as president from 1989 to 1997, was a leading politician who often played kingmaker in the country's turbulent politics. He supported President Hassan Rouhani.
Rafsanjani was head of the Expediency Council, a body that advises Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and in March he won a seat on the clerical body that will one day decide Khamenei's successor.
Recommended For You
- FIFA World Cup 2018: Mexico Face Action Over 'Homophobic' Chants
- Trump Told Apple CEO iPhones Will be Spared from China Tariffs: Report
- Have You Seen These Personal Photos, Videos of 'Dancing Uncle' Sanjeev Srivastav Yet?
- 2019 BMW 8-Series Performance Luxury Coupe - Detailed Image Gallery
- Meghan Markle Receives Mixed Reactions for her Oscar de la Renta Dress