French Riot Police Clash With Youths Protesting Presidential Election
French riot police clashed with youths in central Paris on Thursday when a demonstration against far right leader presidential candidate Marine Le Pen and her centrist rival Emmanuel Macron turned violent.
Hooded youths throw bottles during clashes at a demonstration to protest the results of the first round of the presidential election in Paris, France. Image: Reuters
Paris: French riot police clashed with youths in central Paris on Thursday when a demonstration against far right leader presidential candidate Marine Le Pen and her centrist rival Emmanuel Macron turned violent.
Police replied with tear gas as hooded youths threw bottles on the sidelines of a march by about 500 high school students.
Police also used teargas against protesters in the western city of Rennes where nearly 2,000 high school and university students, and far-left activists, held a demonstration, a Reuters correspondent there reported.
In Paris, protesting students blocked the entrances, or staged election-related demonstrations, at about 20 high schools earlier on Thursday after student unions urged them to turn out.
Students have been holding "neither Le Pen, neither Macron" protests at high schools since the two qualified on Sunday for a May 7 runoff vote in France's two-stage presidential election.
"We are calling for action against far right candidate Marine Le Pen and the candidate of high finance, Emmanuel Macron," said UNL-SD student union leader Giuseppe Aviges, alluding to Macron's past as an investment banker.
Recommended For You
- Wish I Were from Pakistan: Sonu Nigam Takes a Jibe at Music Industry for 'Ignoring' Indian Singers
- Avengers Endgame Trailer: Fan Spots Mistake in Iron Man's Helmet, Twitter Has an Explanation
- Deepika Spills Beans On Her First Date With Ranveer, Says 'Won't Forget That Moment'
- Shah Rukh Khan on Zero: If This Film Doesn't Work, Maybe I Won't Get Work for 6 or 10 Months
- WATCH | Runs Made When Team Loses Shouldn't Count: Gambhir
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s