French Soldier Fires on Man Trying to Enter Louvre Museum, Man Wounded
A French soldier on Friday opened fire on and wounded a man armed with a knife after he tried to enter the Louvre museum in central Paris carrying a suitcase, police sources said.
An armed French soldier patrols near tourists who queue at the Louvre Museum as emergency security measures continue in and around the French capital, in Paris, France/REUTERS
Paris: A French soldier on Friday shot and wounded a man armed with a knife after he tried to enter the Louvre museum in central Paris carrying a suitcase, police sources said.
One source said the man had been trying to get into the museum's shopping mall and had attacked another soldier before being shot and seriously wounded.
Police said the area had been evacuated and the interior ministry said on Twitter the incident was "serious".
A Reuters witness at the scene said police had cordoned off access to the museum.
France has been hit by a series of militant Islamist attacks
over the past two years that have killed more than 230 people and which have been claimed by the militant Islamist group Islamic State.
The most recent deadly attack took place in the southern city of Nice when a man drove a truck into a crowd on the seafront killing 86.
Two potential attacks were thwarted in September including one by a group of women who parked a car containing gas canisters near Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral.
The country is less than three months away from a presidential election in which security and fears of terrorism are among the key issues.
Recommended For You
- Padmaavat Row to Tanushree Dutta’s Courageous Fight: Top 7 Bollywood Controversies of 2018
- IPL Auction: The Complete List of Players Sold in Jaipur
- Wish I Were from Pakistan: Sonu Nigam Takes a Jibe at Music Industry for 'Ignoring' Indian Singers
- Deepika Spills Beans On Her First Date With Ranveer, Says 'Won't Forget That Moment'
- This Chinese Company Will Clone Your Pet for Rs 40 Lakh, Hubris Not Included
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s