German Ambassador Summoned by Beijing over Visit of Hong Kong Activist Joshua Wong
China's ambassador to Germany Wu Ken said the meeting between Wong and German Foreign Minister Heiko Mass will negatively impact the relationship between the two countries.
Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong and German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas attend an event in Berlin, Germany,on Tuesday. (Reuters)
Berlin: China has summoned the German ambassador in Beijing following a meeting between Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong and Germany's foreign minister, Beijing's envoy in Berlin said Wednesday.
"The ambassador was summoned in Beijing by the foreign ministry," said China's ambassador to Germany Wu Ken, after Wong met German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas in Berlin on Monday.
"What I can say is how big the disappointment is on the Chinese side, and we protest very strongly. This incident will have a very negative impact on the bilateral relationship," Wu added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma
- Nikon Z6 Review: A Strong Statement that Ably Rivals the Sony a7 III
- Rats Can Now Be Trained to Play Hide and Seek With Humans. We're Not Kidding.
- Mi Smart Water Purifier Launched in India at Rs 11,999: Here's How it Works
- 22 Years and Countless Battles Later, Ash Ketchum Has Finally Become a Pokémon Master