Hong Kong Leader Carrie Lam's 'State of the Union' Address Dissolves into Chaos After Lawmakers Disrupt Session
Carrie Lam was due to announce a raft of property initiatives in a bid to restore confidence in her administration after more than four months of anti-government protests.
Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam. (Image: Reuters)
Hong Kong: Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam was forced to halt her annual policy address on Wednesday after some lawmakers disrupted the session, shouting and jeering as she started her speech.
Lam was due to announce a raft of property initiatives in a bid to restore confidence in her administration after more than four months of anti-government protests.
Beijing-backed Lam, who has rejected calls for her to stand down, was due to present her third policy address as escalating violence has plunged the Chinese-ruled city into its biggest political crisis in decades.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Instagram Cracks Down on Ghosty, a Scary Stalking App For Android Phones
- WhatsApp Insists No Users Have Been Impacted by The Malicious Video Files Threat
- Tata Sky Offers Free Amazon Fire TV Stick With HD STBs: Everything You Need to Know
- 'For Religious Purposes Only': Cow Dung Cakes Sold in US Store Take Social Media by Storm
- East Bengal Announce Kalyani Stadium as Their Home Venue for I-League 2019-20