Hundreds More Detained in Turkey over suspected links to Gulen
Anadolu Agency says as many as 803 people were detained in raids conducted in all of Turkey's 81 provinces early on Wednesday.
A file image of U.S. based cleric Fethullah Gulen at his home in Pennsylvania. (Photo: Reuters)
Ankara: Turkey’s state-run news agency says police have launched simultaneous operations across the country, detaining hundreds of people with suspected links to US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.
Anadolu Agency says as many as 803 people were detained in raids conducted in all of Turkey's 81 provinces early on Wednesday. The suspects are allegedly Gulen operatives who directed followers within the police force.
Some 8,500 police officers participated in the operation, Anadolu said.
The detentions are part of a widespread crackdown in the wake of last summer's failed coup attempt, which Turkey says was orchestrated by Gulen’s movement. More than 47,000 people have been arrested since the coup, Turkey's interior minister has said, including some 10,700 police officers and 7,400 military personnel.
Gulen has denied orchestrating the coup.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Kylie Jenner Joins Celery Juice Craze After Sister Kim Kardashian, Here's How it Benefits Your Body
- Olive's Branch: People are Adopting Trees to Help Breathe New Life into Dying Village
- Vicky Kaushal on Pulwama Attack: It Should Not be Forgiven and Forgotten
- Indian Prodigy Plays Piano at Lightning Speed, Amazes Everyone on 'The World's Best' Show
- Zarina Wahab to Play Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Mother in His Biopic, Barkha Bisht to Play His Wife
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s