Indian Charged With Transporting Illegal Immigrants From Canada to US
Jawant Singh, 30, who was caught by a Border Patrol agent with the help of a Customs and Border Protection Agency helicopter, was accused in a federal court in Syracuse, New York, of transporting two illegal immigrants.
Image for representation.
New York: An Indian has been charged with allegedly transporting illegal immigrants who crossed from Canada to the US, according to officials.
Jawant Singh, 30, who was caught by a Border Patrol agent with the help of a Customs and Border Protection Agency helicopter, was accused in a federal court in Syracuse, New York, of transporting two illegal immigrants for $2,200, federal prosecutor Grant Jaquith announced on Thursday.
The helicopter spotted several people crossing the St Lawrence River into the US and entering a vehicle, according to court documents.
The border agent then stopped the vehicle and Singh was arrested.
People illegally immigrating from Canada to the US is a twist to the perceptions that President Donald Trump's America is hostile to immigrants and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Canada welcomes them.
Singh, who is from Philadelphia, was produced before Federal Magistrate Judge David Peebles, who ordered him detained.
Recommended For You
- Sophie Turner, Joe Jonas Give the Biggest Shout-out to Priyanka Chopra Jonas on Her Birthday
- Daughter Disowns Trophy-Hunting Dad Who Kissed Partner Beside Slain Lion
- Arbaaz Khan on Divorce from Malaika Arora: This Doesn't Mean We Will Hate Each Other
- Tiger Shroff, Disha Patani Step Out for Dinner Date Amid Breakup Rumours, See Pics
- Reliance Jio Q1 Results: Users Consume More Data Per Month as Jio Overtakes Airtel