Indian-origin Man Given Extra Prison Time for Failing to Self-surrender for First Sentence
Rather than turn himself in, the man purposefully took steps to remain out of custody. He stopped answering his phones and drove a rental car to avoid detection.
New York: An Indian-origin man has been sentenced to nine additional months in prison for failing to self-surrender to serve his prison sentence.
Damanpreet Singh, 34, of Los Angeles, was handed down the sentence last week by US District Judge Garland Burrell, US Attorney McGregor Scott said.
According to court documents, in September last year, Singh was sentenced to two years in prison for conspiring to commit bribery, identity fraud and unauthorised access of a computer. He was ordered to self-surrender to begin serving his prison sentence in January this year.
Rather than turn himself in, however, Singh purposefully took steps to remain out of custody. He stopped answering his phones and drove a rental car to avoid detection.
When he was eventually arrested at a local airport in March this year, Singh lied to officers about who he was in order to remain out of custody.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- It's 3 Idiots Reunion as Mona Singh Joins Aamir Khan-Kareena Kapoor Starrer Laal Singh Chaddha
- Once Abandoned Dog is Now Assisting Railway Force Personnel to Warn Commuters Against Footboard Traveling
- In Pics: Bachchan Family Celebrates Aaradhya's 8th Birthday
- Salman Khan Consoles an Overwhelmed Saiee Manjrekar During Dabangg 3 Promotions
- WhatsApp Beta Tests Letting You Sign in on Multiple Devices; No Dark Mode Updates Yet