Israeli Cabinet OKs Hard-liner Naftali Bennett as Defence Minister
The Cabinet voted on Sunday for hard-line politician Naftali Bennett to become defence minister until a permanent government takes hold.
File photo of hard-line Israeli politician Naftali Bennett. (Reuters)
Jerusalem: The Israeli Cabinet has approved hard-line politician Naftali Bennett as defence minister in the country's caretaker government. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appointed Bennet, with whom he has a rocky relationship, last week.
Netanyahu appears to be trying to shore up support among his right-wing base. He's hoping to block attempts by his chief rival, Benny Gantz, to form Israel's next government.
The Cabinet voted on Sunday for Bennett to become defence minister until a permanent government takes hold.
Gantz is in the process of trying to cobble together a majority coalition after inconclusive elections in September. Netanyahu had the first try at forming a government, but failed.
Bennett, who leads the New Right party, has demanded tougher military action against militants in Gaza.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Tired of Toxic Sanitary Napkins, Coimbatore Teen is Making Her Own Eco-Friendly Cotton Pads
- Was Alexander Zverev Using His Phone During ATP Finals Loss to Stefanos Tsitsipas? Player Denies
- Ponting Backs Burns' Return to Australia Test Squad
- Ali Fazal's Reply to Fan's Request to Ask Girlfriend Richa Chaddha to Unblock Him Will Leave You in Splits
- IAF Rafale Fighter Jet: What Makes Dassault-Made Plane So Important for India