Italy's Emma Morano, World's Oldest Person, Dies at 117
An Italian doctor says Emma Morano, at 117 the world's oldest person, has died in her home in northern Italy.
In this Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2016 file photo, Emma Morano sits in her home on the day of her 117th birthday in Verbania, Italy.(AP Photo/Antonio Calanni, File)
Rome: An Italian doctor says Emma Morano, at 117 the world's oldest person, has died in her home in northern Italy.
Dr. Carlo Bava told The Associated Press by telephone that Morano's caretaker called him to say the woman had passed away Saturday afternoon while sitting in an armchair in her home in Verbania, a town on Lake Maggiore.
Bava said he had last paid his nearly-daily call on Morano on Friday. He says "she thanked me and held my hand" as usual.
Morano, born on Nov. 29, 1899, was also believed to have been the last surviving person in the world who was born in the 1800s.
Recommended For You
- 2018 Ford EcoSport S - Detailed Image Gallery
- After Padmaavat, Now VHP Targets Salman Khan Films' Loveratri Over Title
- Rajasthan Royals Aim to Upset Kolkata Knight Riders in Eliminator
- Kareena Kapoor Khan Sets Temperatures Soaring With Chic Fashion Choices During Veere Di Wedding Promotions
- Sachin Tendulkar Wants Sports Education and History as Compulsory Subject