Jail Break: 150 Inmates Break out of Brazilian Prison
At least 150 inmates broke out of a prison in Brazil's Sao Paulo state, following a riot that set fire to part of the prison.
Rio de Janeiro: At least 150 inmates broke out of a prison in Brazil's Sao Paulo state, following a riot that set fire to part of the prison.
The riot, that took place in Bauru on Tuesday, is in no way related to a recent spate of violent incidents at prisons in other parts of the country, Military Police Col. Flavio Kitazume said at a press conference, Xinhua news agency reported.
Since the start of the year, more than 130 inmates have been killed in prison clashes, which authorities have blamed on organised crime rings, but observers have at least partly blamed on overcrowding in these prisons.
The prison in Bauru is not as overcrowded as some other jails, according to public news agency Agencia Brasil, housing 1,427 inmates in a facility designed to hold 1,124.
Prison officials said inmates were rebelling against the "strict discipline" at the facility.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- 'Mahi Maar Raha Hai': Twitter Hails Dhoni as India Register Historic ODI Series Win in Australia
- Here's Why Priyanka Chopra, Kendall Jenner & Gigi Hadid are Obsessing Over these Puffer Jackets
- Marvel Takes #10YearChallenge, Shares Pictures of Avengers Endgame Characters
- Delhi Bride Gets Shot During Ceremony, Returns From Hospital To Continue Wedding Rituals
- So Proud of You My Love: Anushka Sharma Cheers For Virat and Team After India Registers ODI Series Win in Australia
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s