Large Blast in Kabul Targets International Compound Hours After US Announces 'Plan' of Withdrawing Troops
The blast came just hours after a US envoy briefed the Afghan government on plans for the first 5,000 U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan within five months' time.
Image for representation 2019. (REUTERS)
Kabul: A large explosion rocked the Afghan capital Monday night, targeting an area home to several international organisations and guesthouses, officials said.
The blast came just hours after a US envoy briefed the Afghan government on plans for the first 5,000 U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan within five months' time under a deal with the Taliban that's been reached "in principle" but still needs President Donald Trump's approval.
Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahmi confirmed that the Green Village compound was the target of the blast, which sent a plume of smoke into the night sky over Kabul. Another interior ministry official, Bahar Maher, told the local TOLO news channel that the blast was caused by a car bomb.
There was no immediate word of casualties.
The Green Village has been a frequent target of attacks. Many foreigners live in the compound, which is heavily guarded by Afghan forces and private security guards.
The compound was also targeted by a suicide car bomber in January who killed at least four people and wounded scores. That blast also occurred when the U.S. envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, was visiting the capital to brief the Afghan government on his negotiations with the Taliban on ending America's longest war.
Earlier on Monday, Khalilzad showed the draft U.S.-Taliban to the Afghan president after declaring that they are "at the threshold of an agreement." Khalilzad has met twice with President Ashraf Ghani after arriving Sunday evening from Qatar, where the ninth round of U.S.-Taliban talks ended. However, reflecting the sensitivity of the negotiations and the Afghan government's sidelined role in the talks so far, it was not clear whether Ghani was given the draft to keep.
"We have reached an agreement with the Taliban in principle but of course until the U.S. president agrees with it, it isn't final," Khalilzad told the local TOLO news channel. He said that under the deal, the first 5,000 U.S. troops would withdraw within 135 days from five bases in Afghanistan. Between 14,000 and 13,000 troops are currently in the country.
Trump last week told Fox News the U.S. plans to reduce its troop presence to 8,600 and then "make a determination from there." He has been eager to withdraw troops before next year's election and the draft deal easily meets that deadline.
The reduction would bring troop levels down to roughly where they were when Trump took office in January 2017.
A further troop withdrawal is expected to depend on the Taliban meeting conditions of the deal, including a reduction in violence.
The Taliban are at their strongest since the US-led invasion to topple their government after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, and now control or hold sway over roughly half the country.
For its part, the U.S. seeks Taliban assurances that Afghanistan will not be a safe haven for extremist groups to plan and launch global terror attacks.
The Taliban have stepped up attacks in recent months to strengthen their negotiating position. The United Nations and others say Afghan civilians have suffered, often caught in the crossfire as government forces, backed by the US, have pursued the militants with airstrikes and raids. Afghanistan was the world's deadliest conflict in 2018.
Afghan presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi told reporters the government would study the deal to make sure it addresses the goals of a lasting ceasefire and direct talks with the Taliban in the near future. "It will take couple of days, probably, that we will get back to them and give them our observations," he said.
A deal on ending nearly 18 years of fighting is closer to reality, even as the Taliban attacked the capitals of Kunduz and Baghlan provinces in the north over the weekend. Violence continued in Kunduz on Monday as a suicide bomber targeted a police checkpoint and killed at least four officers and wounded 17 people, including 10 civilians, said provincial health director Esanullah Fazeli.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Netizens Compare Virat Kohli's Hairstyle in Throwback Picture with Salman Khan's Tere Naam Hairdo
- Pankaj Tripathi Shares Emotional Incident When He Stole His 'Guru' Manoj Bajpayee's Slippers
- Hours After Decomposed Body Found at Nagarjuna's Telangana Farmhouse, Police Hint at Case of Suicide
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Get OxygenOS 10 Based on Android 10 Update