Lt Gen Asim Munir Appointed Head of Pakistan's ISI
Munir has also served as the commander of the Force Command Northern Areas and was conferred Hilal-i-Imtiaz—the second highest civilian award—earlier this year.
(Photo from www.ispr.gov.pk)
Islamabad: Lt Gen Asim Munir was appointed on Wednesday as the new chief of Pakistan's powerful spy agency ISI, the Army's media wing announced.
Munir, who previously served as the head of the Military Intelligence (MI), was recently promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General by the Army Promotion Board headed by Chief of Army Staff Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa.
He replaces Lt Gen Naveed Mukhtar.
Mukhtar assumed the office of the Inter-Services Intelligence director general in December 2016.
Munir has also served as the commander of the Force Command Northern Areas. He was conferred Hilal-i-Imtiaz—the second highest civilian award and honour given to both civilians and military officers of the Pakistan armed forces by the Government of Pakistan—in March 2018.
The Army also announced several key top-level transfers after army chief promoted five major generals to the next rank last month.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Inside Edge 2 Review: The Game Gets Murkier and More Thrilling
- Bigg Boss 13: Will Himanshi Khurana Get Evicted from the House to Save Asim Riaz?
- Vikas Gupta Confirms Entry in Bigg Boss 13 with New Instagram Post?
- Data Protection Law Gets Closer to Reality With Stiff Penalties for Data Leaks And Breaches
- Former Mumbai Cricketer Robin Morris Arrested Over Alleged Kidnapping: Report