Mexico School Owner Gets 31 Years For 2017 Quake Collapse
The court sought the law ministry’s response after going through a statement by the World Health Organisation, which has declared virginity testing as unscientific, medically unnecessary and unreliable.
The owner and director of a private elementary school that collapsed in Mexico City during the 2017 earthquake killing 19 children and seven adults was sentenced Wednesday to 31 years in prison.
- Associated Press
- Last Updated: October 15, 2020, 3:27 IST
- FOLLOW US ON:
MEXICO CITY: The owner and director of a private elementary school that collapsed in Mexico City during the 2017 earthquake killing 19 children and seven adults was sentenced Wednesday to 31 years in prison.
Mnica Garca Villegas had been convicted of charges equivalent to manslaughter in September.
Mexico City Attorney General Ernestina Godoy Ramos said via Twitter after the sentence handed down, We achieved justices for the victims! Her office had asked for a sentence of 57 years.
The Enrique Rebsamen school collapsed in the devastating magnitude 7.1 earthquake Sept. 19, 2017. Garca Villegas was prosecuted because officials said her decision to improperly build an apartment atop part of the school contributed to its collapse.
The case came to symbolize the rampant corruption in the citys construction permitting. Garca Villegas was arrested in May 2019 and has maintained her innocence throughout.
Mexicans were glued to live coverage of days of search and rescue efforts at the large rubble pile on the citys south side.
Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor