Mexico, US to Play Protest Football Tourney Against Border Wall
Mexican and US football teams will play a tournament in protest of the wall that US President Donald Trump plans to build along the border of the two nations, a media reported said on Wednesday.
Artists paint a part of a section of the wall separating Mexico and the United States, in Tijuana, Mexico (REUTERS)
Mexico City: Mexican and US football teams will play a tournament in protest of the wall that US President Donald Trump plans to build along the border of the two nations, a media reported said on Wednesday.
Mexican sports daily Medio Tiempo said on Tuesday on its website that no date has yet been fixed for the aptly-named 'The Bridge Tournament', Efe news reported.
However, it added that "the invitations have already been sent out" to the participating teams from the countries' frontier regions.
The event would pit three teams from each nation, including Tamaulipas Autonomous University (UAT) team Correcaminos, Tampico Madero FC and Reynosa FC from Mexico, against US sides Houston Dynamo, FC Dallas and Rio Grande Valley FC Toros.
In a tweet announcing the tournament, Mexican club Correcaminos, which is organising the event, called for "football above walls".
Recommended For You
- From Slam Poets to 'Eco-Feminists', BBC's 100 Most Influential Women 2019 List Has 7 Indians
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works
- Google Pixel 4 isn't Coming to India and Desi Fanboys are Upset With Sundar Pichai
- Supermodel Bella Hadid is World's Most Beautiful Woman According to Science
- Mercedes-Benz G 350 d Launched at Rs 1.5 Crore in India