140 Soldiers Killed in Attack on Military Base in Afghanistan's Mazar-i-Sharif
As many 140 Afghan soldiers were killed on Friday by Taliban attackers apparently disguised in military uniforms in what would be the deadliest attack ever on an Afghan military base, officials said
Afghan national Army (ANA) troops keep watch near the site of an attack on an army headquarters in Mazar-i-Sharif, northern Afghanistan on April 21, 2017. (REUTERS/Anil Usyan)
Mazar-i-Sharif: As many 140 Afghan soldiers were killed on Friday by Taliban attackers apparently disguised in military uniforms in what would be the deadliest attack ever on an Afghan military base, officials said.
The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the government has yet to release official casualty figures.
A US official in Washington on Friday had put the toll at more than 50 killed and wounded.
As many as 10 Taliban fighters, dressed in Afghan army uniforms and driving military vehicles, talked their way onto the base and opened fire on soldiers eating dinner and leaving a mosque after Friday prayers, according to officials. The attackers used rocket-propelled grenades and rifles, they said.
The NATO-led military coalition deploys advisers to the base where the attack occurred to train and assist the Afghan forces but coalition officials said no international troops were involved in the attack.
The Western-backed Afghan government is locked in a prolonged war with Taliban insurgents and other militant groups.
Recommended For You
- Here's How Ishaan Khatter Responded to Rumours of Him Dating Janhvi Kapoor
- Ranveer Singh Dancing For Ekta Kapoor on 'Tune Maari Entriyaan' is Taking Over the Internet
- Malaika Arora's Advice for a Healthy Personal Life: Say No When Required
- Tech And Auto Awards 2018: SUV/MPV Of The Year
- Top 5 Android Smartphones Under Rs 10,000 From Honor, Realme, Xiaomi And More to Buy This Christmas
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s