GET Stock QuotesNews18 APP
News18 English
Powered by cricketnext logo
»
1-min read

New York Steps up Security After Manchester Concert Blast

New York authorities Monday stepped up security at sensitive sites after a deadly blast at a concert in Britain, although officials said there was no indication of a threat to US targets.

AFP

Updated:May 23, 2017, 9:27 AM IST
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp
New York Steps up Security After Manchester Concert Blast
Police officers are seen outside the Manchester Arena, where U.S. singer Ariana Grande had been performing, in Manchester. (Image: Reuters)
Loading...

Britain: New York authorities Monday stepped up security at sensitive sites after a deadly blast at a concert in Britain, although officials said there was no indication of a threat to US targets.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he was ordering additional patrols at "high-profile locations" including airports and the subway "out of an abundance of caution" after the assault at the show by US pop star Ariana Grande.

ALSO READ | Manchester Arena Attack: Singer Ariana Grande Safe After Blast at Her Concert, Tweets She is 'Broken'

ALSO READ | Islamic State Supporters Celebrate Manchester Attack Online, no Official Claim

"This apparent act of terrorism, targeting a concert attended by thousands of teenagers and young people, is an inexplicable and abhorrent assault on our universal values as human beings," Cuomo said in a statement.

"An attack on one is an attack on all, and New York stands in solidarity with the British people and our friends around the world against the forces of hate and terror," he said.

ALSO READ | Manchester Arena Attack: Video of Panic Among Crowds After Blast Emerges

The US Department of Homeland Security said it was working to find information and stood ready to assist counterparts in Britain.

"At this time, we have no information to indicate a specific credible threat involving music venues in the United States," the department said in a statement.

ALSO READ | Manchester Arena Attack: What we Know so Far

"However, the public may experience increased security in and around public places and events as officials take additional precautions," it said.

Police said at least 19 people were killed and around 50 were wounded in the attack just as Grande left the stage.

ALSO READ | Manchester Arena Attack: 'It was Sheer Panic, Lucky to Have Gotten Away'

It is the deadliest attack in Britain since 2005.

Read full article
Loading...
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Loading...
Loading...