No Developing Country Will Fall Into Debt Trap by Cooperating With Us, Says China
"On the contrary, cooperating with China helps these countries raise independent development capabilities and levels, and improves the lives of the local people,"Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.
Representative Image (File Photo: Reuters)
Beijing: China's foreign ministry said on Sunday that no developing country would fall into a debt trap simply because of its cooperation with Beijing.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying made the comment in an online statement responding to remarks made by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence.
"No developing country will fall into debt difficulties because of cooperation with China," Hua said.
"On the contrary, cooperating with China helps these countries raise independent development capabilities and levels, and improves the lives of the local people."
Speaking at the Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) summit on Saturday, Pence took aim at China's Belt and Road initiative, saying countries should not accept debt that compromised their sovereignty.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- How a Wheelchair Taxi Service is Helping Specially-Abled Voters in Mumbai Reach Poll Booths
- War Box Office: Hrithik Roshan, Tiger Shroff Join Rs 300 Crore Club as Film Hits Triple Century
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials
- Flipkart Big Diwali Sale: Get Samsung’s The Frame QLED Smart TV at Rs 72,000
- OnePlus TVs Will Get The Netflix App Soon, But We Don’t Know Exactly When