Pentagon to Deploy 3,750 Additional Troops to US-Mexico Border
The announcement is in line with Acting Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan's announcement on Tuesday about the next phase of a military mission. The additions will bring the total number of active-duty troops on the border to 4,350.
File photo of US President Donald Trump. (Image: Reuters)
Washington: The Pentagon says it will send 3,750 more troops to the US-Mexico border to put up another 150 miles of concertina wire and provide other support for Customs and Border Protection.
The additions announced Sunday will bring the total number of active-duty troops on the border to 4,350.
The announcement is in line with what Acting Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan had said on Tuesday when he provided estimates for the next phase of a military mission that critics have derided as a political ploy by the White House.
Shanahan said several thousand more troops would be sent mainly to install additional wire barriers and provide a large new system of mobile surveillance and monitoring of the border area.
Sunday's announcement said the mobile surveillance mission would last through September 30.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Mi TV 4X 65-inch Launched Alongside Mi TV 4X 50-inch, 4X 43-inch and 4A 40-inch
- Rats Can Now Be Trained to Play Hide and Seek With Humans. We're Not Kidding.
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma
- 22 Years and Countless Battles Later, Ash Ketchum Has Finally Become a Pokémon Master
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022