Relationship With China is 'Vital' for US: Acting Spokesman Mark Toner
Relationship with China is vital for the US and the government is intent in pursuing a more constructive relationship with the Asian nation, a US State Department spokesman has said.
File photo of US Deputy Spokesperson Mark Toner .
Washington: Relationship with China is vital for the US and the government is intent in pursuing a more constructive relationship with the Asian nation, a US State Department spokesman has said.
"China is an absolutely vital relationship for the US. We want to build a more constructive relationship with China," acting spokesman Mark Toner said on Tuesday during the first State Department press briefing since Trump took office, Xinhua news agency reported.
"We're going to look for areas that we can expand our cooperation," added Toner.
He also reaffirmed the long-standing one-China policy. "There's no change to our long standing policy on cross-strait issues," said Toner.
The spokesman added that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson reaffirmed the policy in his confirmation hearing and President Trump agreed in his phone call in February with Chinese President Xi Jinping that he agreed to honour the one-China policy.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Trump Makes Twitter Record by Tweeting 123 Times in Couple of Hours Amid Impeachment Charges
- Neymar Hits FC Barcelona With Fresh Lawsuit to Demand Unpaid Wages
- Thousands of 'Penis Fish' Wash Up on California Beach and Social Media is 'Shook'
- #DogsAtPollingStations: Here's Why UK Voters Turned Up with Pets for Brexit Ballot
- You Can Now Buy a Baby Yoda Toy for Rs 21,000, But Here's the Catch