Robbed 38 Times, Italian Man Guns Down Thief in 'Self-Defence'
Fredy Pacini has been accused of excessive use of force in self-defence after gunning down a 29-year old Moldovan.
Rome: Italian police launched an investigation on Wednesday into the death of an intruder who was shot after breaking into the premises of a man who had reportedly been robbed 38 times.
Fredy Pacini, who owns a tyre shop in Monte San Savino in Tuscany, was accused of excessive use of force in self-defence after gunning down a 29-year old Moldovan.
Pacini had taken to sleeping in his shop after a series of thefts, and was woken by noise in the early hours of Wednesday.
He fired several times at the victim, who was with a second man who managed to escape, police said.
"Being a robber is a dangerous job. Am I wrong??? Self-defence is always legitimate!" Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, head of the far-right League, said on Facebook.
"My solidarity lies with the Tuscan shopkeeper who was robbed 38 times," he said.
His comment sparked a political backlash in Italy, with opponents on the left accusing him of inciting violence. But a hashtag supporting the businessman, #iostoconFredy (#I'mwithFredy), went viral on social networking sites.
Recommended For You
- IIT Madras Students Impress Elon Musk With Their HyperLoop Pod
- How Teams Have Fared in their Maiden Test at Lord's
- Spending Time With World Cup Team are Memories to Treasure: Mayank Agarwal
- Best and Worst Day of my Cricketing Life – Guptill Looks Back at World Cup Final
- OxygenOS 9.0.7 Update for OnePlus 5/5T Brings Fnatic Mode and Screen Recorder