Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to Visit North Korea
Lavrov and his North Korean counterpart will discuss bilateral ties, North Korea's nuclear programme and other key international problems, the foreign ministry said.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.(File/Reuters)
Moscow: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will travel to North Korea on Thursday to discuss the reclusive state's nuclear programme and bilateral cooperation, the foreign ministry said.
"Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's official visit to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea will take place on May 31," the foreign ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
Lavrov and his North Korean counterpart will discuss bilateral ties, North Korea's nuclear programme and other key international problems, the foreign ministry said.Last month North Korea's foreign minister Ri Yong Ho held rare talks with Lavrov in Moscow as Pyongyang moves to improve strained ties with global powers.
Lavrov will travel to North Korea amid preparations for a high-stakes, high-drama summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Washington wants North Korea to quickly give up all its nuclear weapons in a verifiable way in return for sanctions and economic relief.
Pyongyang has a different view of denuclearisation and remains deeply worried that abandoning its deterrent would leave it vulnerable, especially while the United States maintains a robust military presence in South Korea.
Recommended For You
- Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Bill 2019: Drunken Driving to Cost Rs 10,000, Driving Without a Licence to Cost Rs 5000
- Mandira Bedi Posts Stunning Beach Photo from Maldives, See Here
- Move Over PUBG, Indian Air Force is Releasing a Mobile Game Complete with 'Gunslinger Moustache'
- Fact Check: Did the 'Sun Baby' from Teletubbies Just Have a Baby of Her Own?
- OxygenOS 9.0.7 Update for OnePlus 5/5T Brings Fnatic Mode and Screen Recorder