Russian Jets 'Accidentally' Bombed US-backed Forces in Syria
Russian warplanes bombed US-backed fighters in several small villages in northern Syria after they mistakenly thought Islamic State forces were in the area, a top US general said on Wednesday.
Image for representation only/Reuters
Washington: Russian warplanes bombed US-backed fighters in several small villages in northern Syria after they mistakenly thought Islamic State forces were in the area, a top US general said on Wednesday.
On Tuesday, "we had some Russian aircraft and regime aircraft bomb some villages that I believe they thought were held by ISIS, yet ... actually on the ground were some of our Syrian Arab Coalition forces," Army Lieutenant General Stephen Townsend told reporters, noting that there were "some" casualties.
He added that US commandos were less than five kilometers (three miles) away and that the bombing stopped when the Americans called the Russians on a special hotline.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Nushrat Bharucha Wants to See Ranbir Kapoor in a Towel in Bigg Boss
- Neha Kakkar Gets Emotional After Hearing Indian Idol Contestant's Story
- Shashi Tharoor Slams Pakistan's 'Vituperative Mudslinging', Twitter Brings Out Dictionary
- You Can Now Stay in Barbie's Iconic Pink Dream House in Malibu for Just Rs 4,200
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works