Russian Soldier Kills Eight, Injures Two in Gun Attack at Siberian Army Base
The incident took place at a military base in the Chita region in eastern Siberia. The ministry said that the serviceman who opened fire has been detained.
Moscow: A Russian soldier on Friday opened fire on fellow troops at a Siberian military base, killing eight and wounding another two, officials said, blaming the attack on a possible "nervous breakdown".
"The serviceman who opened fire has been detained," the ministry said in a statement, quoted by Russian news agencies.
The incident took place at a military base in the Chita region in eastern Siberia.
"The actions of the serviceman could be the result of a nervous breakdown caused by personal circumstances not connected to his military duty," the defence ministry said, citing preliminary information.
The wounded were hospitalised, the ministry said, adding that their injuries were not life-threatening.
A commission chaired by Deputy Defence Minister Andrei Kartapolov was on its way to the base.
A defence ministry spokesman declined to immediately comment when reached by AFP.
Brutal hazing rituals were a major problem in the Russian army in the 1990s but this has significantly improved in recent years.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ever Wondered How Old Your Dog Really Is? This Formula Could Help You Calculate Accurately
- Madhur Bhandarkar Visits Lata Mangeshkar in Hospital, Says She is 'Stable'
- Kriti Kharbanda Confirms Dating Pulkit Samrat, Says Wanted Parents to Know First
- Maneka Gandhi Sends Help Within an Hour After Journalist Tweets Photo of Injured Monkey
- Not Thinking About Revenge against Oman in FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualifiers: Sunil Chhetri