Seven-year-old Guatemalan Girl Dies in US Custody: Report
A seven-year-old Guatemalan girl died in American custody after being detained by US border police in the state of New Mexico, The Washington Post reported on Thursday.
A migrant, part of a caravan of thousands traveling from Central America en route to the United States, holds a US flag as the group negotiate with Mexican policemen in Tijuana on November 22, 2018. (REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon)
Washington: A seven-year-old Guatemalan girl died in American custody after being detained by US border police in the state of New Mexico, The Washington Post reported on Thursday.
The girl, who illegally crossed the border from Mexico along with her father and dozens of others, died of "dehydration and shock," the newspaper reported, citing the US Customs and Border Protection.
Reports say that the child "had not eaten or consumed water for several days" and began having seizures over eight hours after being detained.The Post confirmed that she was flown to a hospital and died there.
Donald Trump has made hard-line immigration policies a central plank of his presidency, drawing fire from critics who accuse him of demonising migrants for political gain.
He vowed to build a wall on the border with Mexico, deployed thousands of US troops there and separated more than 2,000 migrant children from their parents as part of a "zero tolerance" policy on illegal immigration.
Recommended For You
- Perry Continues to Fly the Flag for Women’s Cricket with Ashes Heroics
- Sophie Turner, Joe Jonas Give the Biggest Shout-out to Priyanka Chopra Jonas on Her Birthday
- Ranbir Kapoor, Deepika Padukone to Star in Luv Ranjan's Next? These Pictures Say So
- Tiger Shroff, Disha Patani Step Out for Dinner Date Amid Breakup Rumours, See Pics
- PUBG Mobile: Here are Top Five Features Added With Season 8