Two Firefighters Killed, Several Injured After Powerful Explosion Tears Through Paris Bakery
A fire broke out after the blast at around 9am (1:30pm IST) in the city's 9th district, a residential and shopping area.
Firemen work at the site of an explosion in a bakery shop in the 9th District in Paris, France, January 12, 2019. (Reuters/Benoit Tessier)
Paris: Two firefighter have been killed and 47 others have been injured in the blast at a bakery that was apparently caused by a gas leak in central Paris. The powerful explosion badly damaged a bakery in central Paris on Saturday, smashing nearby windows after a suspected gas leak, police said.
A fire broke out after the blast at around 9am (0800 GMT) in the city's 9th district, a residential and shopping area.
Images posted on Twitter showed debris covering the street and the lower part of the building blown out and in flames. Parked cars were also damaged in the blast.
An AFP photographer saw at least one person being carried away on a stretcher from the building by firefighters.
Firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze and evacuate some people from the building using ladders while emergency workers treated some of the injured at the scene.
Recommended For You
- Perry Continues to Fly the Flag for Women’s Cricket with Ashes Heroics
- Payal Rohatgi Files Complaint Against Ajaz Khan Over Derogatory Video
- How NASA Astronauts Were Treated to Hero's Welcome on Return to Earth
- Tiger Shroff, Disha Patani Step Out for Dinner Date Amid Breakup Rumours, See Pics
- PUBG Mobile: Here are Top Five Features Added With Season 8