Spain Hit with 50 Fires, Some Deliberately Set in Northern Region
Two people have been arrested and there have been "no injuries, only five people have been evacuated" from the Cantabria region.
Representative image only.(Image: AP)
Madrid: Regional authorities in northern Spain said on Sunday they were battling around 50 fires, some of which were deliberately set.
By end of Sunday, 48 fires were still active, a statement from the government of the Cantabria region said.
"During the day we counted 50 fires, and 760 people from different administrations working to put them out," the statement added.
Since the first fires broke out on Thursday in the mountainous region, no people have been injured and "most of the fires took place in inaccessible areas and have not put the population or infrastructure in danger," the government added.
Two people have been arrested, the head of the Cantabria region, Miguel Angel Revilla, said on Spanish television, adding that there have been "no injuries, only five people have been evacuated" from the area.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Sophie Turner Joins Joe Jonas in NYC as Jonas Brothers Take a Day Off from Their Tour
- 'TB Survivor' Amitabh Bachchan: 75 Percent of My Liver is Gone, Still Surviving on 25 Percent
- Will You Have to Link Your Aadhaar With Facebook, WhatsApp And Twitter Accounts?
- Xiaomi Mi A3 Android One Phone With 48-Megapixel Triple Camera Launched: Price, Features and More
- New Zealand Cricketers Satterthwaite & Tahuhu Announce Pregnancy