Trump Nominates Former Texas Senator as NATO Ambassador
President Donald Trump says he has nominated Kay Bailey Hutchison, a former Republican senator from Texas, to be the US ambassador to NATO.
File image of Donald Trump. (image: Reuters)
Washington: President Donald Trump says he has nominated Kay Bailey Hutchison, a former Republican senator from Texas, to be the US ambassador to NATO.
Trump has had a rocky relationship with the 28-nation military alliance. As a candidate, he called NATO "obsolete."
The president has criticised several members of the post-World War II organisation for not spending adequately on defence. At a May meeting in Brussels with NATO members, Trump complained that his allies had shortchanged "the people and taxpayers of the United States," creating additional strains for the organisation.
Hutchison, who is 73, won a runoff special election to fill a vacant Senate seat in 1993 and served three full terms.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Sophie Turner Dances Arm in Arm with Priyanka Chopra's Mother at Jonas Brothers Concert
- Woman, Whose Rendition of Lata Mangeshkar Classic Went Viral, Records Song for Himesh Reshammiya
- Tata Harrier Dark Edition Details Leaked Ahead of Launch, All-Black SUV Looks Dominating
- Metz M55G2 4K Android TV Review: So Good, it Should Cost a Lot More Than Rs 42,990
- 'Choked' by Husband’s Extreme Love and Affection, UAE Woman Seeks Divorce