Trump's UK Visit Used 10,000 Officers, Cost $24 Million, Say Police
During the trip, Trump held talks with Prime Minister Theresa May at her country retreat, met Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle and visited a Scottish golf course.
File image of US President Donald Trump.
London: British police chiefs say security for US President Donald Trump's visit in July involved almost 10,000 officers and cost nearly $24 million, making it the biggest police operation since riots swept England in 2011.
National Police Chiefs' Council chairwoman Sara Thornton said on Thursday that nearly every police force in the country was involved in covering the four-day visit, which required 26,000 police shifts by almost 10,000 officers.
She says "the full cost of the operation is still being worked out but an early estimate is nearly 18 million pounds."
Trump held talks with Prime Minister Theresa May at her country retreat, met Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle and visited a Scottish golf course during the trip, which also saw large anti-Trump protests in London and Scotland.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients
- Pankaj Tripathi Shares Emotional Incident When He Stole His 'Guru' Manoj Bajpayee's Slippers
- Rashami Desai to Marry Boyfriend Arhaan Khan Inside Bigg Boss 13 House: Report
- Photos Show How Greta Thunberg's Supporters Grew from Two, to Millions In Just a Year
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes