Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » World
1-min read

Turkey Says 'No Need' to Restart Syria Offensive After Deadline Expires

A US-brokered deal had set a 120-hour deadline for Kurdish fighters' pullout from a proposed safe zone, which expired at 12.30 am IST.

AFP

Updated:October 23, 2019, 7:27 AM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Turkey Says 'No Need' to Restart Syria Offensive After Deadline Expires
File photo of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (REUTERS)

Istanbul: Turkey said on Wednesday there was "no need" to restart its offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria, saying that it had been informed by the US that their withdrawal from the border areas had been "completed".

"At this stage, there is no further need to carry out a new operation," the defence ministry said in a statement.

A US-brokered deal had set a 120-hour deadline for Kurdish fighters' pullout from a proposed safe zone, which expired at 12.30 am IST.

Turkey has agreed to "pause" its military action in Syria launched on October 9 on the condition that Kurdish forces withdrew from an initial 120-kilometre area from the border, following a deal with US Vice President Mike Pence last Thursday.

Turkey has, however, repeatedly threatened to restart its offensive, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowing to "crush the heads" of Syrian Kurdish forces if they failed to retreat.

"At the end of the 120-hour period, the United States announced that withdrawal of PKK/YPG from the area has been completed," the Turkish defence ministry said. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in a phone call with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu Wednesday, also confirmed that US military officials informed their Turkish counterparts Kurdish forces withdrew from the safe zone, a Turkish diplomatic source said.

The announcement comes shortly after Erdogan hailed a "historic" agreement with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin to push back Syrian Kurdish fighters from its border areas.

Turkey has seized control of a "safe zone" inside Syria about 120 kilometres long and 32 kilometres deep, after it launched Operation Peace Spring on October 9.

Tuesday's agreement with Moscow will see it preserve that zone between the towns of Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain, giving Ankara a crucial presence inside the country.

Under the agreement reached in the Black Sea resort of Sochi, "joint activities will start with the Russian Federation from Wednesday," the Turkish defence ministry said, adding that the deal with Moscow was "upholding Turkey's border security".

From noon (0900 GMT) on Wednesday, Russian military police and Syrian border guards will "facilitate the removal" of Kurdish fighters and their weapons from within 30 kilometres of the border.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results