UN Human Rights Chief Condemns 'Shocking' Mass Executions in Saudi Arabia
Michelle Bachelet's office the beheadings in six cities across Saudi Arabia were carried out despite repeated warnings from rights officials about lack of due process.
File photo of UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet.
Berlin: The UN's human rights chief is calling Saudi Arabia's mass execution of 37 men, including three who were sentenced as minors, "shocking" and "abhorrent." Michelle Bachelet's office said on Wednesday the beheadings in six cities across Saudi Arabia were carried out on Tuesday despite repeated warnings from rights officials about lack of due process.
The men mostly belonged to the minority Shiite branch of Islam and had been convicted of terrorism-related crimes. The body and severed head of a convicted Sunni extremist were pinned to a pole as a public warning.
Bachelet said it was "particularly abhorrent that at least three of those killed were minors at the time of their sentencing."
She urged Saudi Arabia to review its counterterror legislation, expressly prohibit the death penalty for minors and halt pending executions.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Watch: Burglar Kisses Elderly Woman to Calm Her During Robbery in Pharmacy
- Amitabh Bachchan Was Never Hospitalised, Say Kaun Banega Crorepati Sources
- 'This is a Joke Right?' Trump Wrote a Bizarre Letter to Turkey and Twitter Had a Lot of Memes
- Disha Patani and Tiger Shroff Add Star Power to ISL Opening Ceremony
- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is Defending Free Speech; Yes, You Read That Right