US Man Who Drove Into Crowd Targeted Family Because It Looked Muslim: Police
The driver, 34-year-old Isaiah Peoples, reportedly targeted the family solely on their appearance, according to police, who are now treating the case as a 'hate crime'.
Los Angeles: A California man who deliberately drove into a crowd of people, injuring eight, did so because he thought they were Muslim, police said Friday.
The driver, 34-year-old Isaiah Peoples, reportedly targeted the family solely on their appearance, according to police in Sunnyvale, near San Francisco, who are now treating the case as a "hate crime".
"There is new evidence that Peoples intentionally targeted victims based on their race and belief that they were Muslim," said Sunnyvale Public Security in a statement. According to local media, three members of the same family are among the eight pedestrians injured Tuesday — a father and his son and daughter.
The nationality and religion of the family have not been released.
A lawyer for Peoples said the incident "was clearly the result of a mental disorder", and he would seek psychiatric treatment for his client -- who he described as a military veteran possibly suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Reliance Jio Diwali Offer: Here's How to Gift a JioPhone This Festive Season For Rs 699
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 20 Written Update: Rashami Desai, Mahira Sharma and Asim Riaz Declared Safe
- Anushka Sharma Hails 'Crusader' Sunitha Krishnan for Helping Sex Trafficking Victims
- Cristiano Ronaldo's Step-over Has Latest Victim as Juventus Star Scores 701st Goal | Watch
- Guidelines For Influencers Are Incoming; a Few Folks And Brands Must be Very Worried