US Military Says Airstrike in Somalia Killed 20 Al-Shabab Terrorists
The US military command for the African continent says the attack occurred on Monday near Shebeeley in the Hiran region and targeted a training camp used as a staging area for
Al-Shbab fighters stormed the Puntland in one of the region's deadliest attacks. (Photo: AP)
Johannesburg: The United States military says it has killed 20 fighters from the al-Shabab extremist group with an airstrike in central Somalia, a day after another airstrike in the area killed 35.
The US military command for the African continent says the attack occurred on Monday near Shebeeley in the Hiran region and targeted a training camp used as a staging area for attacks.
The US has dramatically increased airstrikes against the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab, Africa's deadliest extremist group, since President Donald Trump took office.
The US has carried out 23 strikes this year.
Authorities and experts acknowledge that it will take more than airstrikes to defeat the extremist group, which holds large parts of rural central and southern Somalia and carries out deadly suicide attacks in the capital, Mogadishu.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- After Burning it Out at The Gym, Disha Patani Slays the Dance Floor with Killer Moves
- If Your iPhone Has a True Depth Camera, You Can Now Take 3D Selfies on Snapchat
- Cristiano Ronaldo Says Sex with Girlfriend is Better Than his Best Goal
- OnePlus 7T With Round Triple-Camera Module Revealed in Official Press Image
- Europa League 2019, Manchester United vs Astana Live Streaming: When and Where to Watch Live Telecast