Woman Awarded $725,000 in Lawsuit Against Neo-Nazi Website Founder
After Dumpson became student government president in 2017, someone hung nooses with bananas containing derogatory messages on the university's campus.
Representative image. (Getty Images)
Washington: The first black woman to serve as American University's student government president has won a lawsuit against a neo-Nazi website operator who orchestrated an online harassment campaign against her.
A federal judge granted default judgment on Friday to Taylor Dumpson and awarded her more than $725,000 after The Daily Stormer founder Andrew Anglin and a follower failed to respond to her lawsuit.
The judge awarded Dumpson compensatory damages of $101,429.28, punitive damages of $500,000, and attorneys' fees and costs of $ 124,022.10.
The judge also entered a restraining order against Anglin, his Moonbase Holdings limited liability company, and Brian Andrew Ade.
After Dumpson became student government president in 2017, someone hung nooses with bananas containing derogatory messages on the university's campus. Anglin posted an article about the incident and directed followers to "troll storm" Dumpson on social media.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Jio Effect: Airtel V-Fiber Offers up to 1000GB Free Data & Plans Start at Rs 799
- Jio Effect: Tata Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Additional Usage on Annual Plans
- Sara Ali Khan Gives Fans Yet Another Reason to Adore Her As She Clicks Selfie With Kids at Airport
- Deadpool Star Ryan Reynolds Just Broke Hearts of Marvel Fans Who Begged Him to Save Spider-Man
- India vs West Indies | In-form Rohit Sharma Should Open in West Indies: Ganguly