Woman Held for 'Harassing' Monkey in Egypt, Sentenced to Three Years in Jail
A video shows Ahmed laughing while touching the genitals of a monkey at a pet shop in the Nile Delta city and making sexual innuendos as people around her chuckle.
Representative Image. (Reuters)
Cairo: An Egyptian court has sentenced a 25-year-old woman to three years in prison for "sexually harassing" a monkey in the country's north, state daily Al-Ahram reported Friday.
A court in Mansoura city charged Basma Ahmed with "inciting debauchery" and "committing an obscene act in public", a judicial source told the newspaper.
She was arrested in October after a 90-second video of the incident went viral, Al-Ahram said.
The video shows Ahmed laughing while touching the genitals of a monkey at a pet shop in the Nile Delta city and making sexual innuendos as people around her chuckle.
At court she "confessed... to the incident but said she did not mean to commit an indecent act and that she had been tickling the monkey".
The video sparked a fierce backlash online.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Mithali Raj Dedicates Taylor Swift Song to Troll Criticising Her Language Preferences
- India, Stressed: More than Half of Commuters in Metro Cities Likely to Commit Road Rage
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works
- Mercedes-Benz G 350 d Launched at Rs 1.5 Crore in India
- Redmi Note 8, Redmi Note 8 Pro Launched in India: Specs, Price and More