Cupertino-based giant Apple had quite a year in 2020, despite the year being mired by the COVID-19 pandemic. From the significant step of reducing reliance on Intel with the new M1 silicon chip, to its first over-the-ear headphones that launched to mixed reviews most recently, the company has taken things seriously this year. In this article, we will list the 10 most significant products that made the year slightly better for Apple and Apple loyalists.
1. iPad Pro + Magic KeyboardThe iPad Pro was launched in March this year and came in two variants - an 11-inch and a 12.9-inch variant. The iPad Pro was launched at a starting price of Rs 71,900 for the 11-inch. With the iPad Pro this year, Apple also showcased the significant update that the iPadOS 14 brought, as it looked to change the way people use their iPads. Further, alongside the Apple iPad Pro, the company launched a Magic Keyboard accessory (also called the Floating Keyboard) that is a cover when folded, and turns into a keyboard when unfolded. It also comes with a trackpad, and users can just stick their iPad to the Magic Keyboard magnetically to start using it as a professional device. The Magic Keyboard is priced at Rs 27,900 in India.
2. iPhone SE (2020)A highly anticipated iPhone since at least one year prior to its launch, the iPhone SE 2020 was launched in April this year as the company's budget offering. The iPhone SE was Apple's attempt to offer its tech within a budget. The company used its old design (iPhone 6 to iPhone 8) and packed in the A13 Bionic SoC within the smaller body for the iPhone SE 2020. The smartphone was launched in India at a price of Rs 42,500.
3. iPad AirIn September, Apple took everyone by surprise as the company did not launch an iPhone during its usual iPhone launch month (September). The company, however, made it up by updating its iPad Air and giving it the most powerful Apple A-series chip at the time. The iPad Air this year took design cues from the iPad Pro with its thin bezels but lacked premium features like a dual camera with LiDAR sensor, a 120Hz display, and more. The iPad Pro was also the first time Apple announced its A-series Bionic chip on any device before the iPhone. The iPad Air was launched in India at a starting price of Rs 54,990.
4. Apple Watch SE2020 seems to be a year where Apple (for a change) put thought into bringing more budget-centric products to the market. The company, in September, launched the new Apple Watch SE which gave Apple users a lower pricepoint to enter the wearable segment. The Apple Watch SE came with similar features to the Apple Watch Series 6, but lacked preimum features like an always-on display, blood-oxygen monitor, ECG, and more. Apple launched the Apple Watch SE for Rs 29,990 in India.
5. Apple Watch Series 6Just like the iPhone, the Apple Watch is a significant Apple product launch. Given how Apple has started focusing on the health-based use cases for the Apple Watch, the company added a blood oxygen monitor that uses an SpO2 sensor to measure the user's blood oxygen level. The Apple Watch Series 6 is priced at Rs 40,990 onwards in India.
6. Apple iPhone 12 MiniAs mentioned above, the iPhone is arguably the most significant Apple launch every year. However, among the most significant Apple product, the most significant variant this year came in the shape of the iPhone 12 Mini. Apple launched the iPhone 12 series with four phones instead of three. The company added an iPhone 12 Mini as the smallest iPhone that the company has made in many years. The iPhone 12 Mini was launched with a 5.4-inch screen and packed all the features that the iPhone 12 vanilla comes with like the A14 Bionic chip, a Super Retina XDR display, and MagSafe, among other features. The iPhone 12 Mini is priced in India at Rs 69,900 onwards.
7. Apple HomePod MiniAfter experiencing somewhat of a bust in the smart speaker space, Apple launched the smaller version of its HomePod, the HomePod Mini, another budget-centric product. The HomePod Mini is the smaller version of the company's HomePod smart speaker. It was also launched positive reviews, at least more so than its bigger sibling, the Apple HomePod. The HomePod Mini is priced at Rs 9,990 in India.
8. Apple M1 Silicon ChipOne of the most significant move from Apple this year was the launch of its own processors for Mac computer. Apple launched the M1 processors and launched three new Mac computers powered by its own Silicon chip - a new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro (13-inch) and an M1-powered Mac Mini. Apple said that it will slowly end reliacne on Intel completely for supplying chips for Mac computers.
9. AirPods Max HeadphonesThe last and probably the most controversial Apple product for this year, the AirPods Max have launched to mixed reviews from people. The outrageously-expensive Apple over-the-ear headphones were launched earlier this month and are Apple's first attempt at making an over-the-ear headphones. The metal body AirPods Max have been launched at a price of Rs 59,900 in India.
10. Apple Official Online Store (India)The last on the list is not a product, but something of more importance than the products themselves. Apple in September, finally launched its official online store for Indian customers. Apple had plans to open its first official physical store in India as well this year, but the constraints brought by COVID-19 pandemic delayed the company's plans even further.