News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Sexual assault case: Asaram's run from the law ends, to be taken to Jodhpur

Sep 01, 2013 07:44 AM IST India India

Bhopal: After days of evading the police and refusing to join investigation in the sexual assault case of a 15-year-old girl, the law has finally caught up with self-styled godman Asaram. The 72-year-old self-styled godman was finally arrested on Saturday midnight by Jodhpur police from his ashram in Indore.

Jodhpur police team alongwith Asaram have reached New Delhi. From Delhi, he will now be taken to Jodhpur for questioning. The deadline for Asaram to surrender in the sexual assault cause ended on Friday. Asaram had been dodging the police, on health grounds and switching his base from Bhopal to Indore.

Hot on the trail of Asaram, a Jodhpur police team had reached his Indore ashram late night to question him. Heavy police force was deployed at the ashram even as 72-year-old Asaram's supporters protested the arrival of the Jodhpur police team.

"Jodhpur police questioned Asaram at his ashram in Indore and then arrested him. They have brought him to the Indore airport and are scheduled to fly to New Delhi today. Members of Asaram's ashram did express opposition to his arrest, but the officers explained the situation to them, and were able to get Asaram to the airport without much problem," SP Indore (East) OP Tripathi said.

Earlier on Saturday, Jodhpur police DCP Ajaypal Lamba said that his team is in Indore and Asaram, who claimed through his son Narain Sai that he was suffering from a neurological disorder and hence could not join the investigation, was fit for interrogation and travel.

The events unfolded amidst high drama. Senior police officers reached the ashram at 3 pm on Saturday amid high security as Asaram's supporters numbering hundreds assembled around its compound. The Jodhpur police began interrogation of Asaram at around 9 pm and within 3 hours the deployment of the forces was also increased. Police arrested Asaram and whisked him in a white jeep about half an hour after the stroke of midnight, after waiting for nearly eight hours at the ashram.

As the vehicle carrying Asaram and Jodhpur police made its way out of the ashram in Indore, hundreds of his supporters, watched by posse of policemen, shouted slogans against the police and supporting the self-styled godman.

Strong contingents of police personnel were deployed at the ashram even as Asaram's supporters protested the arrival of the Jodhpur police team.

Meanwhile, the father of the minor girl ended his fast after the announcement of Asaram's arrest. But claimed that he will continue to fight the case until the self-styled godman was sentenced in the case. "He should be charged with the relevant sections as soon as possible so that the criminal proceedings can be initiated against him," said the girl's father.

He also claimed of threat calls from Asaram's supporters". My family is not safe. I am getting threat calls from his supporters. I will take this fight till the end. I will continue the fight for justice to my daughter," he said.