News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Freelance filmmaker electrocuted to death in South Delhi

Jul 22, 2013 01:25 PM IST India India
Share

New Delhi: Naked wires from the compressor of a split AC outside a shop in a South Delhi market caused the death of a 32-year-old freelance filmmaker. 48 hours after his death, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi has finally acted.

The South Delhi Municipal Corporation has issued notices to the shops which had kept their generators out in the open. The agency says that it had earlier issued notices to various shops in the area for the same.

"How am I to blame? This AC and my sign board have both not been working for over 4 months now. I haven't kept anything dangerous in the open. The AC was kept inside my premises, wasn't on the pavement," said the shopkeeper.

The filmmaker died after he was electrocuted when the car door that he was holding open touched the gates of the building in front of which he had parked it. The wires had already conducted electricity to the iron gates.

Talking about the incident, an eyewitness said, "The man had brought his car to the side to avoid the flooding and was helping his grandmother walk to the car. When he opened the car door to help her sit inside, he must have touched the exposed AC wire and he was electrocuted."