News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Pune airport: Girl nearly electrocuted, safety measures?

Mar 03, 2009 08:12 AM IST India India
Share

Pune: It was a brush with death for the young law student. Kanika Sharma had gone to the Pune airport on Saturday evening to receive a friend. She was leaning against a railing and talking on her mobile phone, when she suddenly collapsed. "We were coming out of the airport when we saw her falling to the ground. She was twitching. When I tried to pick her up, I felt the electric shock," says Amulya Kaur, an eyewitness. Amulya, a pathologist realised that Kanika had no pulse after the fall. She revived Kanika on her way to hospital. Doctors at the military hospital where she was taken are convinced the girl suffered an electric shock. "It was an electric shock and the girl suffered a cardiac arrest. This is what happens when a person is electrocuted,” says Commandant, Military Hospital, Maj Gen R P Choubey. Eyewitnesses noticed that a wire from construction spot nearby was touching the metal railing Kanika was leaning against. But the airport authorities deny this and have released CCTV footage to prove that she was not electrocuted "If you see the footage, there are other people leaning against the railing. But they didn't receive any shock. And we have taken all precautions at the construction site," says Director, Lohegaon Airport, Pune, G Chandramauli. Kanika's family has meanwhile decided not to press charges against the airport authorities.