News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

CRPF camp attack: Police arrest third suspect

Mar 16, 2013 12:59 PM IST India India

Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir Police has made a third arrest in connection with the fidayeen attack on a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp in Bemina, Srinagar in which five personnel and two suspected terrorists died. Investigators say the accused is a government employee who allegedly provided logistics and guidance to the terrorists.

The security forces had made two arrests on Friday. The first person arrested is a suspected Pakistani terrorist from Multan and was picked from the Rampura Chattabal area of Srinagar late on Thursday night.

The Pakistani terrorist arrested on Friday was a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) recruit and it was he who allegedly dropped the two 'fidayeens' on the outskirts of the city on the day of the attack, investigations show. In a swift operation a day after the attack, the Special Operations Group of the Jammu and Kashmir police arrested 22-year-old Zubair alias Abu Tallah alias Riaz from Chattabal area in the outskirts of the city late on Thursday night when he was talking to his handlers, official sources said on Friday.

Zubair, a resident of Multan in Pakistan, is the second person to be arrested in the attack on the CRPF camp near the Police-Public school in Bemina on Wednesday after Bashir alias Haroon Bhai was held hours after the attack. Sources said that Bashir, who hailed from Uri along the Line of Control(LoC) in Baramulla district, had tipped the state police about Zubair's movements which led to his arrest.

The sources said that Zubair told the interrogators that he had dropped the two 'fidayeens' (suicide attackers) hailing from his country along with Bashir, a surrendered terrorist. According to the police, Zubair had crossed over from Uri in north Kashmir a month back and was followed by the two 'fidayeens' who hailed from Sahiwal and Dera Gazi Khan in Pakistan.

In a major terror strike in the heart of Srinagar, a group of suspected fidayeen tried to storm a CRPF camp in Bemina area on March 13. The terrorists also tried to target a police school located near the CRPF camp in Bemina and security officials . No civilian was killed although three were injured in the attack.

The terrorists, dressed as cricket players and carrying arms and ammunition, lobbed several grenades and resorting to heavy firing at the CPRF personnel in the camp at around 10:45 AM. Police officials said that the terrorists came dressed in track suits and were mistaken for boys who practice cricket regularly at the school grounds. Soon after entering the compound, the terrorists opened indiscriminate fire catching the security personnel by surprise.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had made a statement in the state Assembly even as firing was going and said that attack had been neutralised. National Conference chief and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah called for the removal of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act from Srinagar. "We have been saying Special Powers Act is needed only at borders. This is a part of the game we have to play, our enemies will continue to do this. I have seen worst than this, we will face them. The Special Powers Act will have to go," said Abdullah.