follow us on
reach us on app store
News18 » Videos » News18 Shorts

Gangrape: Police deny braveheart's friend's allegations

Jan 05, 2013 03:41 PM IST India India

New Delhi: Denying allegations made by the male friend of the Delhi braveheart in a television interview, Delhi Police on Saturday said there was no jurisdiction squabble as the sole witness of the case had claimed.

"Whatever police (PCR van) could arrange at that point of time was provided. Bear in mind that the victim was transported to the hospital in 16 minutes," Joint Commissioner of Police Vivek Gogia said. "PCR vans are not within jurisdiction of police stations and are separately controlled by the Police Control Room."

The man, who had fought with the assailants bravely as they assaulted and then raped his friend in the bus, blamed not only the passersby for their indifference but also Delhi Police PCR vans for fighting over jurisdiction instead of helping them, during the interview.

Speaking out against public and police indifference, the man said that no one stopped to help them for about 25 minutes while he and his friend lay grievously injured and without any clothes on them near Mahipalpur flyover of the national capital. According to the witness, three police vans arrived after 45 minutes and wasted crucial time in deciding the territorial jurisdiction of the police station under which the case falls.

"Victim's friend was released by Safdarjung Hospital after first-aid within few hours. He was then brought to police station to record a complaint and help in investigation," Gogia said.

Defending the police's move to bring the badly injured braveheart and her friend to Safdarjung Hospital, Gogia said, "Multidisciplinary hospitals (like Safdarjung) have an advantage while transporting the victims for treatment. It is a government hospital. Many experts can be called there when required. Keeping these things in mind, a protocol has been made."

The witness, an engineering student, had said that instead of taking both the braveheart and himself to a nearby hospital, the police had decided to take them to Safdarjung Hospital, which was far away from Mahipalpur flyover, where the two had been dumped by the six accused from a moving bus after the 30 minutes torture.

"We were only keeping the complainant informed of the development of the case as per our stated policy to comfort and update but not to seek any appreciation or any pat on our backs," Gogia added. "We were just doing our duty."

Meanwhile, the five accused in the case have been summoned by the court on January 7, while the juvenile accused in the case will be presented before the Juvenile Justice Board on the same day. On December 16, 2012, the accused brutally assaulted the 23-year-old physiotherapy student and her male friend, and then gangraped the girl in a moving while line private bus in New Delhi. They then threw both of them out of the vehicle in a semi-naked and an unconscious state. The braveheart lost her battle for life on December 29 due to massive injuries inflicted upon her by the accused.